Vegan Friendly, Moist, Festive, Keeps Well, Loves to Travel.
Moist and tasty Carrot Cake, packed with Coconut, Crystallized Ginger, Pineapple, and Macadamias
2 1/3 cups sifted all purpose flour
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut- or the organic, dried type
1 cup dry-roasted macadamia nuts
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon coconut extract
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter three 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 1 1/2-inch-high sides, or one half-sheet pan.
- Line bottom of pans with parchment paper, spray with non-stick spray.
- Combine 1/3 cup flour and next 3 ingredients in processor. Process until nuts are finely chopped.
- Whisk remaining 2 cups flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in medium bowl to blend.
- Using electric mixer, beat sugar and oil in large bowl to blend.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla and coconut extract.
- Beat in flour-spice mixture.
- Stir in coconut-macadamia mixture, then carrots and crushed pineapple.
- Divide batter among pans.
- Bake until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, about 30 minutes. If using a sheet pan, rotate pan half way through baking.
(This recipe makes a ton of frosting, enough for the 3-layer version of the cake. If you are making a sheet cake, you can reduce the ingredients by 1/2)
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, or Earth Balance Sticks (fridge temp)
Beat softened cream cheese and butter in mixer bowl until smooth.
(Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover with cake dome and chill.
Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.)