Magical, easy, artery-clogging and delicious Summer Fruit Cobbler
- 4 cups peeled, sliced peaches, blueberries, blackberries, pitted cherries or a mixture of all
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 tablespoons butter (one stick)
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- Ground cinnamon, optional
Combine the fruit, 3/4 cup sugar, and water in a saucepan and mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Put the butter in a 3-quart baking dish and place in oven to melt.
Mix remaining 3/4 cup sugar, flour, and milk slowly to prevent clumping. Gently pour mixture over melted butter. Do not stir. Using a slotted spoon, put fruit on top, and then gently pour syrup around the fruit in the pan. Again, don’t stir. Sprinkle top with ground cinnamon. Batter will rise to top during baking. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes.
To serve, scoop onto a plate and serve with your choice of whipped cream, creme fraiche, or vanilla ice cream.