This is a delicious summer soup. You probably have all the ingredients around. You can easily make it vegan. It is good warm or cold, and really benefits from an overnight stay in the fridge.
- 3/4 cup finely chopped scallion (about 1 bunch)
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced thin (about 4 cups)
- 1 lemongrass stalk, peeled and chopped (optional)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice plus additional to taste
- trimmed scallions for garnish
- In a large heavy saucepan cook chopped scallion, onion, and gingerroot in butter with curry powder and salt and pepper to taste over moderately low heat until softened and add carrots and stock. Simmer mixture, covered, 20 minutes, or until carrots are very soft.
- Thin soup with ice water if it is too thick, and season with additional lime juice and salt and pepper.
- Garnish soup with trimmed scallions, or a dollop of yogurt and chopped cilantro.